Friday, June 03, 2005

Hyphens...

Two blogs in a day. I must be A. bored, B. my mind is barraging itself with senseless thoughts, C. I'm trying to make up for my lack of blogging this week, or D. all of the above. =) I was just considering the hyphen...as in the hyphen between last names. Maybe it's just me, but I think that a hyphenated last name sounds so distinguished.

For instance, my cousin's, Susan Thomas-Joseph sounds so much more distinguished to me than just Susan Joseph. As a lawyer, it makes her sound like a hard arss...like one tough cookie. I feel sorry for those who have the same name after they marry like Mrs. Thomas-Thomas. Hyphenating is just pointless in that case. And then there are those who have a common last name when single and inherit a weird last name once they get married like Mrs. Thomas-Chandapillai. Equally sad are those who have a hypenated name that doesn't flow like Mrs. Thomas-George. Drop the hypen, sista...It just sounds silly.

I can't wait to get my hyphen some day. Of course, Varghese doesn't quite mix well with anything. But, Mrs. Susan Varghese-Sabato would look pretty good on a book cover I think. =)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan, your blog is like an episode of Seinfeld. Seinfeld was a show about nothing. Your blog is a log about nothing. But I find both to be strangely entertaining.

Keep up the good work!

Sue V. said...

alex..are u my cousin?

Anonymous said...

Yup.

Sue V. said...

so strookoo the coockoo is my crazy cousin lisa, i presume

kovoor36 said...

i love antonio sabato too!!:)

Anonymous said...

nope

Anonymous said...

aheeem i think sabato sounds great w/any last name:)

Anonymous said...

hey that was my last comment, i didnt mean to be anonymous...stupid me:)