Monday, June 13, 2005

What the world needs now...

I read an article today in the Wall Street Journal that has me all twisted. It was about the marriage practices in this really small country (I can't remember the name of it). The girls there get married between the ages of 11 and 18. They often have babies way before their bodies are fully capable of handling actually giving birth in a natural way. But, very few of the hospitals are equipped to perform Caesareans. So the majority of girls suffer from a disorder that occurs when girls are in labor too long, which causes the wearing away of the bladder. The bladder forms a hole which leaks urine and the girls are incontinent. They are all kept in one wing of the hospitals with nets around them to prevent flies from getting to them. Their families often don't want anything to do with them because of their odor.

Once again, I was reminded of all the atrocities that people suffer all around the world. And here, I get caught up in my own superficial needs. Often times we hear about things like this...and think "well what can we do?" I know I can't save the world, but I can pray for it. Sometimes we don't realize the power in prayer. A lot of times, people who have a heart to serve the Lord are looking for a way to get out there and do His work...But praying for others is the best way to serve Him and help others... Prayer is the only weapon worth having when fighting the injustices of the world. It's the only weapon Christ had...moments before His arrest he fell down on his face and cried out to His father.

Stories like this put things in perspective...I've been blessed immensely

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwww Yizzay, the King of Pop is Frizzay!!!!!.... Oh dang, i'm on cloud 9 girl, cloud 9 ya heard??? I can now get down with Michaels funkzy Sounds!!!! We have a party in O-town today, feel me, BYOB, bring yo own boy...OOOPS@@@ Just playin', just playin, fuh realz, i wanna lay it on the line like dis, if Mike is pimpin the sneakers, he needs to be put away, but if he just flossin the jib's, i mean, handle it.... Awight, i gotta go cuz po-po at my door