Friday, June 24, 2005

Who's your mama?

I don't know what it is about me...I must look motherly. I know I dress motherly. Maybe it is both of the reasons combined that makes random strangers think that I have children. Now, it's totally understandable if I was with my niece or nephew and someone assumed they were mine. They could be mine. But, the oldest person that was assumed to be my child was in her fifties.

It all started at a pente conference several years ago. I was wearing a skirt, shirt, make-up, and sunglasses over my head...not something you'd see an "aunty" wearing. Anyway, I was trying to get registered with a couple of my guy pals and the stupid malayalee uncle at registration was giving me the runaround because at first he thought i was a "non-pente" trying to sneak in without paying registration, which I had already pre-paid. This was due to the bracelets I was wearing. (rolling eyes) Anyway, I assured him that I was indeed a pre-paid pente and the guys with me went to my church. Automatically he asks, "They are your sons?" I was traumatized. I was 24 at the time, and the guys were 20. Did I look that old?!?

Sheryl is another story. She's six years younger than me and people always assumed I was her mother. At least that made sense in my mind...she's at least a lot younger than me. But, I was a little upset when someone thought Sunu A, who is a year OLDER than me was my daughter. We went to the mall one day, and the clerk said, "Thank you Mrs. Varghese. You and your daughter have a lovely day." My daughter?? I was irate, but she loved it.

One time someone asked me Sunu's mom was my daughter...now that's just nuts. Aunty, Sonia, and another friend were going to the bathroom at some gas station on a drive back from Houston. This random guy thought the three of them were hot stuff, so when I went to join them in the bathroom a bit later, he stopped me.

Guy: Are those your daughters?
Me: Uhhhhhhh, NO!
Guy: Are they your nieces?
Me: Uh, NOOOOOOOOO!
Guy: Then who are they? Do you know them?
Me: They're my friends!
Guy: What?!?!? (with astonished face)

Seriously, do I look THAT old?!

Today was the most bizarre case. I was helping Damon (a guy who works for BC) were backing my car up to the docs of our building to mail off to BC. The security guard said Damon would need to go get checked in. I told him I was an employee and I'd be the one going into the building. He said, "Oh okay. You're the employee? So is that your son?" My son?!?!?! The guy is 6'0 (I'm 5'2), thin as a rail (i'm wide as texas), WHITE (and well, i'm clearly not white) I was apalled. Why not guess that he's my husband? Why my son?

I'm apalled. And, I think I need a makeover....cuz I ain't no one's mama.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what theeee?? how theee???? where do they get that you're their mama?! str8 confused...

Anonymous said...

umm poo...some guy just said that i reminded him of his NEPHEW.

=\ at least ur mistaken for another female