Thursday, June 16, 2005

A glimpse into the cruel world...

I was feeling a bit ill y'day, so I went home right after lunch. After snoozing for much of the afternoon, I woke up just in time to watch some of my old, favorite soaps. While watching them, I wondered how I ever got caught up in soaps. I can finally see them for what they truly are...the finest example of nonsense on day time television. Never have I seen so much cheeze in the span of an hour! I welcomed the 3 o'clock hour because the rest of the afternoon programming would be talkshows. At least these were educational. First, Dr. Phil's show was about girls with eating disorders who use drugs in order to burn more calories. It was interesting to see 100 pound girls declare how disgusted they were with their fat. Fat? They don't know what fat truly is!! But, it's obvious that their problems are about way more than fat. I found Oprah to be equally perplexing. Her show was talking child crimes all over the world. Such as baby rapes in Africa (thought to cure the Aids epidemic), kidnapping of children by African rebels, who create child armies that train children to kill and torture other children, and the male, teenage prostitution problem in the Ukraine. It was horrid, and I was sickened. But, this is the reality of the world we live in. This might not be things we know or see, but it exists. I was reminded of how cruel the world really is. I admire people like Oprah....who give us a glimpse of the world...who remind us that what we see day in and day out is just one very small piece of reality.

1 comment:

suitablegirl said...

i saw that dr. phil show, too. the girl from australia made me want to cry. a heart attack at 16 from her bulimia and drug abuse? and even after that, she couldn't stop doing what gave her the heart attack? tragic.