Friday, June 03, 2005

The World From Under My Rock...

I did something stupid last night....I talked on the phone till 2:30 am. My cousin Kenji Burian (as his friend Jaicy calls him) called me and we hadn't talked in ages. However, I was feeling the pain of that decision at 7:15 when I woke up 30 minutes late and had 15 minutes to get to work. Needless to say, I'm not having a great hair day...or a great day in general because I'm so dern sleepy!

However talking to Kenji is always an interesting experience. He opened my eyes to a great many truths about my own self. He said, "Susan chechi, living in Oklahoma is like living under a rock." At first, I didn't get it. All my cousins hate Oklahoma. I mean let's think about it...It isn't exactly the most happening town in the U.S. But Kenji's comment was more than just Oklahoma hate. He went on to explain that I have no exposure. He said if I was in Chicago, I would be married within a year and I'd have more opportunites for my book.

I thought about his words this morning as I drove to work. I'm not sure about being married within a year...but growing up in Oklahoma has put a damper on my love life...that's for dern sure. And as for my book, yes, it's definitely made it more difficult to seek opportunities. HOWEVER, there are a lot of small town people that have led successful lives. At the moment, I can't think of one...but as soon as I hit post, I'm sure many will flood my mind. And I can't use my location as my stumbling block...I have to use it as a stepping stone.

There's something to be gained from this flat land. I've spent so much time HATING it that I haven't been able to see what exactly it is that I've gained from it. I think the Lord wants me here at this specific time. I think this because try as I might, I can't find my dern way out of here...and I just have to believe that the time isn't right. So, yes...being in Oklahoma IS like being under a rock. But eventually, I'll come out of hiding...and when I do....WATCH OUT WORLD!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's an example: Oprah.

More often than not, its not the location that limits you - - it's you. Small towns are nothing if you keep your eyes and mind focused on your big dreams. And you're absolutely right, use it as a stepping stone and chalk it up to personal experience. You've got GREAT things in store for you...and it's all because you were created with a great purpose and destiny. Just ask all your friends, and they'll tell you the same. =) In God's time, it'll all come together and you'll see how awesome you were created to be...

Anonymous said...

whoa whoa whoa...for real i don't think if you were IN chicago you'd be married w/in a year or nothing....girl there's a LOT of single malayalee women here and a lack of the malayalee man:) take it from me:D BUT perhaps things like exposure to your writing could be at an advantage in any big city such as chitown, ny, la...etc. but make sure you have those types of contacts needed to get that exposure first! :) of course you know this already ms author:)