Monday, October 24, 2005

What's Chub got to do...got to do with it?

loquacious \loh-KWAY-shuhs\, adjective:
1. Very talkative.
2. Full of excessive talk; wordy.

sentence: I've always longed to be a loquacious girl who could ease her way through a crowd and feel comfortable in any social situation.

It's Monday. In the words of Destiny's Child, "Here we go...here we go again." Before I go on with my daily rant, let me take this time to congratulate Nina and Toby on their engagement. It's so nice to see best friends take their commitment to each other one step further into nuptial bliss!! I wish you guys a lifetime of love and happiness....

Speaking of marriage...a friend of mine told me this weekend that a friend of her's (who I hardly know) told her that perhaps I should grow out my hair, which would probably help with the chub factor in my face. I was a bit perplexed by the guy's suggestion. My friend said that the guy was suggesting ways that I could improve myself, so I can get married. I didn't know if I should be grateful or offended. Instead, I decided to stay perplexed.

I'm sure Tina Turner wouldn't mind me butchering her song for this...but, "what's chub got to do... got to do with it?" I spent a lot of time looking at pictures of myself evolve over this past year. I look at pictures from February and shudder to think I let myself go like that. To me, it's not about how I looked but how out of control I was. When I compare pictures of myself now...I do indeed look different, however the thing that has changed the most is my self control. The fact that I've lost close to 40 pounds has not changed my marital status. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is why there are fat women who are in love with wonderful men at this very moment. And, this is why seemingly beautiful women are single. It takes more than just one's figure to make them attractive... No matter how hard we try to hide it under make up and stylish clothing...heart and soul matter.

So, to the friend of the friend who suggested I grow out my hair....I appreciate the fact that you made a suggestion to help me out of my nuptial funk...but it's about more than my round face. Long hair...short hair...my face is round and my cheeks are chubby and that's never going to change. The only thing that's going to help me is if someone sees me for me...and likes me regardless of my many imperfections. I will continue to be the best me I can possibly be...this entails taking care of myself physically, mentally, spiritually, and financially.

2 comments:

kovoor36 said...

being indian, you are always gonna get that supposed "helpful" critism abt how if you changed this or did that, you would be so much better off or more marriable. dont let it get to you. they just stupid! and thanks again for the well wishes! keep us both in your prayers!!:)

Scorps1027 said...

i think that friend of a friend should be notified that he has borderline jackass tendencies. and im sure you're going to hear that he didnt' mean to offend you, but that's exactly the most lethal type of jackass behavior, when it's unintentional. tell him you'll stick to marie claire for your beauty tips!

also, if being "beautiful" was the key to finding a spouse, how come halle berry is still single?? not to mention when she was married, her husband was cheating on her, (the most beautiful woman in teh world), with other women?!

You're right, it takes more then physical attributes, (or rather it should), to find a spouse. I mean, fine, so you grow out your hair and someone finds that appealing. what if you had to cut it short for some reason? are you not going to be attractive to that person anymore? beauty is only skin deep and you are so right to state that you want someone who wants you for YOU.

sorry for the rant, but really, this set off my audacity meter.