Monday, April 10, 2006

Finding "Chazown"...

Sunday's church service was a bitter sweet one for me. Bitter...because the thought of being with out my closest friend in OKC for the next two months left my heart really heavy. Sweet because the thought of my friend finding the chazown for her life made the heaviness bearable. Chazown is the Hebrew word for "vision." After several months of considering, and a solid month of prayer, Sunu A has decided that next Sunday, she will embark on a 2 month journey to India devoting herself to orphan care. She will be headed to Bangalore to stay in an orphanage, work with children who were born into brothels, teaching in a VBS with over 600 children, and doing what God has always intended for her to do with her life.

You know you have found a lifetime friend, when someone knows your weaknesses and doesn't judge you for them...and knows your strengths and reminds you of them when you forget. This is exactly what Sunu and I have in each other. We've seen each other through the worst of times...and the best. And, this is definitely the best of times for her. Never have I seen her more happy and excited about life. This is only because God gave her this vision and He has finally brought it to pass. It's been awesome to see her through this journey. I only wish I could join her in India and watch her in her element...but I'll definitely be waiting to hear all about it when she gets back.

Sunu and I had a chance to chat on Friday over a cup of coffee..and I started to tell her about the book that Sheryl has let me borrow, called "Chazown." It's an amazing book that talks about God's vision for your life and it helps you discover and live out your purpose. I started to point out to her that although we always dawg on her...okok, although I always dawg on her about her fob tendencies...(the fluent malayalam, the malayalam singing, the adoration of all things indian), it's really obvious to me now that God created her with a passion and love for India for a reason...because all along He knew that He would use her there. I think that's so amazing.

Often we overlook things about ourselves or just consider them quirks...but we are uniquely and perfectly made for a reason! Siby and Jason have also discovered their chazown. I listened to both cds this weekend, and they are absolutely amazing. I'm just in awe of how anointed these young men are...and their cds are nothing short of beautiful.

All three of these individuals have made me really consider my own chazown...I know that God has a purpose for me...and even in my unfaithfulness, he has opened doors to use me. My writing is far from prolific...but, I know that it is my purpose. We often try to be modest and downplay our talents...but to downplay our talents is to misuse God's gifts. Each of us have something unique within us...either it's something we do (sing, write, dance, act, paint)...or just the way we are (loving, caring, organizers, prayer warriors, humanitarians, loyal friends)...often times these things are overlooked...but if we submit ourselves to God...completely...He can do great and mighty things through us.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm so tired of waking up every morning and thinking "there must be more than this." I want to live my life according to my purpose...I want to be fulfilled knowing that the things I do day in and day out matter...they are impacting someone's life...I want to come to a point in my life where my past makes sense...because it has made me who I am in the present...and my future is full of hope because I'm living according to God's vision for my life.

My chazown has been revealed...now, the hard part...living it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for that, sue. i,too, want to find my own 'chazown' and your words helped me to step back and realize that i was in a rut of complacency. i'll pray for Sunu's safety and i'll pray for you, too, b/c i can see how close you two are. what a blessing to have such a great friend!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for sunu too. Just in the last few months, it's been so obvious what the Lord has been doing in her life. Her decision to obey the Him completely and whole heartedly is an inspiration and a challenge to us all to do the same - to find our passion and purpose.

And you're absolutely right, Poo. Figuring out your purpose is one thing. To live it out is something completely different.

Here's hoping for lives of purpose.

Anonymous said...

sue, your entry was very encouraging for me. and it sorta confirmed that I am doing the right thing =) I'm amazed that I have been an encouragement to you (only by the grace of God)...but more than that, by your words you have strengthened me. you have a talent to write so continue in the will of God for your life. sunu your awesome and I'm so extremely happy for you! God is good!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for Sunu! Like I said on the flog, I truly believe this is only the TIP of the iceberg for the amazing things GOD has in store for her! And I do pray that what GOD has done in her life and the path that He's taking her on, will be only the beginning of what HE has in store for ALL of us. Including you, Sue! I know GOD is getting ready to something amazing in your life as well! I praise GOD that you have realized your purpose....and I pray that HE will give you the grace to sustain you to live it out and that your talents will bless all those around you :)

Anonymous said...

great post, sue. finding a purpose- whatever it may be is perhaps the most difficult journey one can go through. having God lead the way will definitely provide clarity.

best of luck to Sunu..what an amazing opportunity. may she touch all the lives she meets!

Anonymous said...

sunu...i am sooo proud of you..i know you will go there and do exactly what the LORD has called you to do...
know that i and the rest of the fam is behind you all the way...
i love you so much and will be praying for you :)

and sue..what an awesome entry... that was very refreshing and hit me right on the spot...your writing has already been having such an impact!

Anonymous said...

wow! to this entry. i have so much to write but so little space. jenthu, i love you and can't be more happy for you. i feel so much peace for you and know that this IS the year for you.

cookiemonsta said...

sunu.. you are in my prayers :)
May be you can start a blog when you are in India to write about your experience! I would love to read it. May God bless you abundantly, and keep you safe under his wings.

sue- Is Jason.. sheryl's brother? I checked out his site. Very nice! I need a signed copy of both Jason and Siby's cds.. I'll buy it after I start my job :) I am broke now!

kovoor36 said...

sunu, good luck on this adventure!! I know God will continue to guide and inspire you! and sue, you have accomplished half the battle! knowing what your "chazown" is is the biggest thing, i think!! i need to know what im here going thru this all for. i keep waiting and hopefully i'll know soon!! good luck implementing what you already know... i think you are on your way...wish people like me luck on getting to where you are!!:)

Soulsysta said...

Good luck on your trip Sunu - this trip will definitely change your perspective on life. Thanks for being brave enough to venture out of the comfortable and seize the day!

Suse - your turn is right around the corner my dear.