Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Oklahoma City is cold and gray today...and I can't help but think it is because it has lost some of it's warmth. I work in an office that is pin drop silent on the average day, but today...the silence and sadness is so thick that it's almost suffocating. Today we lost someone who was not just one of our bosses, but a friend.

Every once in a while...you are lucky enough to meet one of those people...someone who is the epitome of all things good...that is loved by all...and reaches out to more than just their family, friends, and peers...but to their community in order to impact the lives of others. I was blessed enough to know a man like this. His name was John Rex.

When I talked about him to others, I referred to him as the apachen at work...because that's truly what he was like...a grandfather. He was loving, kind, and protective. He never treated me like I was just one of the girls who worked for him...but WITH him. He brought a family atmosphere to this company. And you could always feels his pride in us...not just in the success of the company...but in each individual and what they brought to the company. Often, he would take the time to introduce me to people who would come by the office to meet with him. "This is Susan Varghese...our resident author...tell em' about your book, Susan." He did more PR/marketing work for me than my publishers!

Every morning he walked in with a smile, saying goodmorning to each of us girls in a special way. It's the little things that I took for granted that are memories that I hold dearly now. He spoiled us with lunches and special gifts for every holiday. Even though he was gone to Ireland during Easter, he made sure his assistant left the Easter Egg baskets he bought for us on our desks.

This last card was perhaps the most special that I've received...not just from him, but from anyone..."snuggly, cuddly, soft, and sweet, this bunny's just like you. she's loved a lot from ears to feet, and sweetheart,you are too!" This weekend I bought him a stuffed pig and a card...(He collects pigs because he was a former Arkansas Razerback...), but unfortunately, it's something I will never be able to give to him.

Yesterday, he called and told me he would be going home. He sounded great...and I was thrilled. I ordered diet cokes...to make sure we'd have plenty when he came back. The last thing I thought I'd hear first thing this morning is that his heart stopped and he was no longer with us. His loss will be felt every day...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue, what you wrote about the appachen was awesome. I never met the man and I wish I had just by the way you wrote about him. I'm sure he will be missed.

Anonymous said...

Sue, I'm so sorry about your loss. I remember how much you liked him when you would mention him to me. Life ends so unexpectedly sometimes but I'm glad that you have such sweet memories of him and all the warmth he brought to your life. I'm sure when you look at that gift you bought him, you'll always remember him. :)

Soulsysta said...

*hugs*
wish i could say something more - but, really words escape me. All i have are verbs bundled in asteriks - i hope you feel the love they come with.

Anonymous said...

Aww Poo, I'm so sorry. I know there's not a whole lot we can say that can bring comfort right now, but we're thinking of you and all the others that are saddened by this loss. Just based on how eloquently you wrote about him, I can see how much he was loved and admired. *hugs*

cookiemonsta said...

awww i am sorry :(

kovoor36 said...

im sorry to hear of your loss. i hope you realize how lucky you were ot have had such a great boss/friend/appacha in your life!!