Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Search for the Suitable Suit...

I was happy yesterday. I mean, why wouldn't I be? For four years, I've been pushing to find a job out of OKC and then VOILA...in the past 2 days, two actual, certifiable potentials. I was elated! And then, my happiness took a nose dive after a conversation with CCL:

CCL: what are you going to wear?
Me: uh, wear?
CCL: yah, just wear a suit.
me: a suit?
CCL: you have a suit, right.
me: a suit?
CCL: YOU HAVE TO WEAR A SUIT...this is for a REAL job.

So, I set off to find a suit last night. However, I'm a kanjoos/cheapskate at heart and refused to buy a dumb suit that I'd never wear again for over a hundred bucks. So where do I head? Target. I took a few ensembles into the dressing room and scoffed at myself in the mirror after wearing each one. I was tired, hungry and disappointed...but I trudged through the womens' section returning all the clothes to their proper positions...As I was doing this I heard a voice call out, "Susan!"...It was Melissa...my old colleague at Eckerd Drugs. We worked together during our college years. I seem to run into her every time I'm out shopping. So after telling her my suit woes...we parted ways. I was headed out of the store, when I heard it again...a voice calling out, "Susan!"...This time it was Mary...my old high school chum. I wasn't having much luck with the suit, but it sure was a great night for reunions at Target.

Today is Day 2 of the search for the suitable suit...I've enlisted Julie's help as we set out to the mall at lunch. If that doesn't work, I'll be calling in the big guns tonight...Sunu said she'd come over and throw something together. It'd help if I had options for her to throw...

Meanwhile, Mattie called me last night for a mock interview. He made me sweat so much under pressure that I had to turn on my fan. However, after realizing that I failed miserably answering his questions with too many "uhs" I spent the next two hours online practicing interview questions and taking practice editing tests. I've never prepared this much for an interview in my life. I hope it all pays off.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ann taylor makes excellent suits :)
good luck tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Try Ann Taylor Loft for affordable suits.

Scorps1027 said...

suevee, i suggest getting a black suit b/c you can always wear teh black pants/blazer seperately. i'ts a good investment! i agree about trying ann taylor loft and even larger dept. stores that carry petite lines that'll be more tailored for us short, er, petite women! if you find stuff during sale season, you can get some unbelievable steals! also, i'd always invest more in a suit just because the tailored fit is everything. just keep that in mind!!

Anonymous said...

im sure u'll find something! :) especially when u've got the likes of julez and sunua helpin ya out=) definitely take a pic of it, cause i'd LOVE to see what you come up with!=) and good luck with practicing your interviews....i know you'll do GREAT no matter wat :)

happy roy said...

if you want suits for $100, i highly recommend finding a marshalls, tj maxx, filene's basement sorta place. i'm not sure what kind of stores you have in OKC, but basically look for stores that sell higher end clothing from last season at a cheaper price. stores like tj maxx will sell tahari suits for $100. and i agree with sibil -- a black suit is ALWAYS a great investment!

kovoor36 said...

you have to invest in a good suit, even if its more expensive than you would normally spend! loks count on interviews, no matter what anyone says!

Soulsysta said...

girl - a suit is a great investment piece. You shouldn't be too kanjoos with something like this because:
1. you can wear them separately
2. you can wear them for different occassions depending on what you wear on the inside (collar shirt = sharp and sassy/ slinky cami = downright sexy)
3. they never ever ever go out of style especially if you go with a basic black that fits you perfectly. And by perfectly i mean, it accentuates your positives and makes you feel powerful.
4. A writer in a suit is HOT HOT HOT.

muah.