Monday, April 03, 2006

A thought I wanted to share...

I have this really bad habit of using others as a measuring stick. I compare little things like weight...bigger things like success...and recently, I realized that I've been measuring my spirituality to those around me. In the Pentecostal church, the importance of praising loudly, raising your hands, and speaking in tongues is greatly stressed. As a quiet person, I find myself preferring quiet worship...bowing my head in reverance and concentrating on God's grace...praising him with my lips (but not so loud that others can hear every word I say), and occasionally lifting my hands in a moment of complete surrender. But, I haven't been gifted with tongues...(yet)...and I don't dance or jump in God's presence...etc, etc. So does that make me any less spiritual? I thought it did...

I thought that people who did all that stuff I mentioned before had some sort of "experience" with God that I've somehow missed out on. I've been waiting for the "experience" and found myself getting angry and frustrated that some got it and I didn't. However, *S & S* helped me understand that people who raise their hands, speak in tongues, dance, etc...have the same experience I had...they experienced salvation...the difference is...that is they way they choose to worship...and I have another way of worshipping, but it's all pleases God. It was like a light went off in my head...I felt relieved. Here I was waiting for an "experience" and getting so frustrated that God wasn't giving it to me!

If God granted an "experience" that changed people's lives...then it would be God choosing the ones He loves. But, He already chose us when He was on the cross...He chose all of us. The question is...have we chosen Him? That's what it's all about...THAT'S the "experience"...the moment in which you COMMIT. I think commit is the important word here...because a relationship with the Lord, like a relationship with any other person, is a commitment...that we must choose. How you commune with Him isn't as important as committing TO commune with Him. The only way to feel closer to God is to read His word, pray, and worship. Scripture says in Jeremiah 29, "For I know the plans I have for you...they are for good and not evil..to give you a future and a hope." But, how do you achieve that future and hope through the Lord? It goes on to say "For when you seek me with your whole heart...you will find me." This is exactly what we must commit to do when we choose Him.

I realize that when you talk to God...He talks back...when you ask Him for things...He gives them to you...sometimes we look for big signs and big wonders...so we miss the little ways in which he speaks to us every day...through people...through music...through His word...through the Holy Spirit that resides within us. I'll give you a small example of what happened to me last week. Bear/Bare with me...because it might seem silly...but to me...it's just a sweet way that God spoke to me. I was in my car at lunch...and I was thinking about this "experience" that I thought God wasn't giving me. I was asking God..."Do you really love me? If you do...show me...give me a sign...I need to know."...I kept saying this over and over...and then I suddenly shut up for a second and listened to the song that was playing on the radio. It was a Third Day song...and at that very moment...the lyrics were "miracles and signs and wonders...aren't enough for me to prove to you. Don't you know I've always loved you? Even before there was time..." I sat in silence after that...and realized...there's no such thing as coincidence. (as my friend ruby says!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same conversation with my sister yesterday, Sue. I agree that we all experience God in a different way. Sometimes it is in the most obvious ways of dancing and lifting our hands and shouting. Then some of us choose to do it in our personal ways - bowing our heads and quietly worshipping. And sometimes God can even move in a completely different way (ie: the way He came through for me and my sister this weekend just by bringing joy back into our lives again). GOD comes in different ways ... the ways HE knows we need Him most.

I'm just like you. I measure myself to everyone else...it doesn't matter what everyone else does...it's what WE do and if what WE do blesses GOD in the end...and im sure that GOD is blessed by your worship no matter how you do it! :)

Anonymous said...

Sue,
By far, that is the MOST awesome thing you have written - for me anyway... I can not beging to tell you that I struggled with that - tremendously - but God did show me and remind me - that I was just as much his child in the Evangelical Church ( where you sometimes have to light a fire to get people to just clap their hands) as I am now - in the Pentecostal church. I doubted my faith and my love for the Lord for a long time. I am seriously on the verge of tears as I am writing this at work. I know that God loves me and I love him, even though I don't show it enough - but showing it doesn't necessarily have to be in public or outloud. He knows our heart. He knows everything.

kovoor36 said...

thanks for this post... i have been finding myself doubting alot lately and keeping myself from Him cause i guess i feel lost in the shuffle, but some other things over the weekend plus this give me some newfound strength! thanks again!

Anonymous said...

coincidence is God's way of being anonymous :)