Thursday, July 13, 2006

I feel the pangs of hunger as I type this. Do you feel sorry for me? I have a packet of oatmeal in my purse, but don't really feel like "oatmeal" today. However, everything else I'm feenin' either has way too many calories or requires way too much effort. So, oatmeal it is. =/ Maybe I'll spoil myself and throw in a banana. (Counting calories is a sad way to live)

I had quite an interesting experience at the post office yesterday. There were only two cashiers available and a line full of people. Everyone was getting a little miffed. I'm sure the majority were on their lunch breaks (like me) and were intending to briefly pop into the post office before grabbing a bite to eat or run other errands. I, however, have now come to realize that the post office is quite unpredictable...so I knew that I should get my lunch beforehand instead of after. That was a particularly wise choice yesterday. So as I was saying, the overall mood of the line was foul…so when the annoying cell phone belonging to the Oriental lady in front of me went off, everyone was a little agg’d. This was because she refused to pick it up, despite the fact that she knew it was ringing. I swear it rang at least 10 times before it decided to go to voicemail. It’s not like she was too busy to answer…she was just standing in line! It’s not that she didn’t want to speak Vietnamese while in line…because she was doing that with the guy 5 people down in the line. (basically yelling across the room…which merely annoyed everyone more.) No one really said anything the first time…and yes, I said first because it happened many more times….4 to be exact. Each time, she stood there as if she was completely deaf to the annoying sound. People were grumbling all around me. One person even said, “put it on vibrate.”…but this didn’t faze her. It got so bad that one of the employees finally said, “Someone’s really trying to get a hold of you.” To this the lady responded, “Yah, but I too busy.” =/

By the time I left the post office, I was starving and anxious to eat the turkey sub I had waiting in my car. I sat in the parking lot and unraveled it from the paper wrapper. Just as I’m about to sink my teeth into it for my much anticipated first bite…I hear a knock at my window. A transient lady with no teeth stood there with a gummy, half-hearted smile. I sighed and put down the sandwich. I knew the drill. The post office isn’t exactly in the best part of town, so I’m constantly running into transients…so much so, that I know to bring a few extra dollars with me because someone is bound to ask. She had a prescription in her hand and explained that she spent all the money she had on her medicine and it said to take it with food, but she had no money for food. I looked at my sandwich…and felt guilty. I could see her eyeing it from the window. I’m giving…but not that giving…I shoved a few dollars in her hand…there’s no way I was giving up my turkey sub. Thus ended my post office fiasco…

In other news…I’ve resorted to calling shaadi.com…shady.com…because I’m convinced that every shady man alive is on that website. However, recently a seemingly nice gentleman from India emailed me from the site. I received one email and never heard from him again.Typically I wouldn’t be too surprised about that…but after I heard about the train explosion…I began to question it… I went back on shady to see where this guy was from…lo and behold he was from Mumbai! I instantly emailed BF and told her that as my luck would have it….the only nice guy to have ever emailed me from shady is now probably gone forever…and with him perhaps my only chance of finding mr. right. However, this morning I received an email and I’m happy to announce…he’s ALLIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEE!!! Now that he’s survived the explosion let’s see if this guy can survive past my 2 –week trial period in which I determine if he’s a keeper or a loser. ;)

6 comments:

cookiemonsta said...

ooooohhh may be i'll find a guy on shaadi.com also, and we have the wedding on the same day.

:)

arggh

Anonymous said...

lol i can't wait to hear more about this guy =)

sajini said...

Only 2 weeks.. that is a short trial period but it sounds kinda nice!!!

kovoor36 said...

i never give transients money, only food. i never trust money is going for food after i offered to buy some guy something from the convenience store and he replied, i cant buy a 40 with a sandwich! well im not helping addictions!! and anyhoo, glad to hear mr prospect is ok, and am defly waiting for more details abt him!!

Anonymous said...

i know this may seem like i'm being the PC police but, orientals are not people. they are rugs and vases. it is offensive to call asian-american people that term. just like it would be offensive to call black people, coloreds.

you can never change terminology unless you're informed!

Anonymous said...

shady.com hahahahaha! :)