Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Power of Words...

First, a special good luck shout out to Ms. JT Money (Julie). I thought of you this morning as I was praying before work. I'm sure God will bless you with the wisdom you need to do well on your bar exam!

I was thinking this morning on my way to work... (This is usually my time to get my thoughts in gear before work) about how powerful words can be. They have the power to build someone up or tear someone down. Very few realize the impact that their words can make, which is why they use very little consideration when speaking. I'm not sure what causes this....is it ignorance? lack of sensitivity? I tend to think it's lack of sensitivity.

I've been described as overly sensitive. This doesn't bother me at all...I feel as if my hurts, disappointments, and sadness over the years have made me more sensitive to people with similar experiences. I can listen to someone's problems with out feeling void or lack of understanding and with out being quick to judge because I've had my own share of crap happen in life.

Life is not the same for everyone. For some, it is fairly easy and routine....for others it's a series of struggles...while others experience peaks and valleys. I guess as humans we dwell on "why." Why is his life so good? Well, naturally he must be a good person who does nothing wrong. Why does her life suck? Because she makes bad decisions or she doesn't try. Why is his life good for a few months and then suck for the next few? He must have slipped up and gone off track.

I guess what I'm saying is...the "why's" don't really matter. We all slip up, make bad decisions, slack off...etc, etc. It's God's grace that we have blessings in our lives...and we've ALL fallen short of that grace. I guess I'm challenging you...challenging myself...to use a little less judgment and a little more compassion. Consider the words you say today...how will it impact the person you speak to?

PS: Billy, I've been emailing you, dude. I think your email is on the fritz again!!

4 comments:

Soulsysta said...

suse, where are you?
did you get my email?

kovoor36 said...

i agree, sometimes people dont realize how much their words could either hurt or encourage a person. i try to be the better person, but im sure i fall short fo that also. ill keep trying though:)

Anonymous said...

wise words sue..thank you

Scorps1027 said...

i guess it all boils down to perspective and trying to step out of your shoes and into someone else's. we all don't know how good we have it, until we see someone else worse off, and it's unfortunate that it takes something like that to make us realize how blessed we all are.