Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I was thinking quite a bit today on my drive to work instead of listening to the mind-numbing morning radio show I normally focus my attention on. Scary...I know. It's never a good thing when I think too much. However, after thinking through my thoughts, I feel much better about "things."

I realize that I've been so hung up about living according to my purpose lately. I guess you could say I've been more than "hung up"...more like consumed by it. I've been on this quest to find the BIG thing that God has in store for me...the job of a lifetime, the man of my dreams, the life affirming missions experience. But today it dawned on me that this isn't exactly what it means to live according to my purpose. I guess we all assume there's one big "task" in our lives that God deems our purpose. I mean, look at Moses...one would assume that his purpose was to lead the Israelites out of Egypt....but when you look closer at his life, you realize that each day of his life was a part of his purpose...every single event that took place molded and shaped him into being a leader. If he thought that taking the Israelites to the promised land was His purpose, he would have died a very sad and unhappy man, because he was unable to take them on the last leg of their journey. Does that mean he failed his purpose? Not quite...

I guess what I'm saying is...(cuz I'm sure half of you have completely lost me at this point) A lot of us spend our time dreaming about that moment when we realize what God's purpose is...we get frustrated because we don't know His plan...we think we have been chosen to preach to the nations....and are so set on that notion...that we completely ignore the lost soul that passes by us on a daily basis. We're so set on getting to the end of the book...that we overlook all the interesting pages/chapters in between.

This being said...I realized that I have to live according to my purpose each day...instead of worrying about what lies ahead. As silly as it sounds, I felt very purposeful the entire 3 weeks that I helped Julie plan Finu's shower. Each day I was conjuring up ideas and crafting presents...in short, doing what I love to do. For me, creativity is such a large part of who I am...and if I don't find an outlet for myself, I'm going to find it very hard to be satisfied. I've been mad at myself for not working on a writing project, but completely overlooked the fact that I write every day...(a la Blog!) Oddly enough, after this big revelation occurred in my mind this morning, I thought up a story idea for the first time in months. It was like I needed to come to this realization to make the flood gates open. I guess the message I'm trying to relay is that each day of the journey is just as important as the final destination...Be the best at who you are today and sit back and see where God takes you tomorrow.

No comments: