Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Angels on Earth...

It's weird to be diagnosed with an illness and feel so completely overwhelmed, yet simultaneously feel so blessed.  That's exactly how I felt all day today.  I got a call from Dr. H (my oncologist) first thing this morning.  He was going over when my next two exams would be and was so irritated when he discovered my PET scan would only be next Tuesday.  He immediately said he was going to call the clinic himself and get it changed to TODAY.  And...he did exactly that.  Within minutes, the clinic called me to switch the date and time and my scan was going to be in a the matter of 2 hours.  I was so overwhelmed!!  First, my sugars had to be just right and I had just got done pulverizing Cheerios for breakfast...not exactly the breakfast of a champion diabetic.  Secondly, the lady had told me to prepare for Tuesday by wearing clothes with no metal in them (my slacks had a metal tab), wearing warm fuzzy socks (i had no socks!), and bringing 6 peanut butter crackers for snack time (and I had no crackers!) So, I raced home to make sure I at least dressed warmly and metal-free and decided I'd forgo snack time since I ate cheerios.

The two hours I actually did spend at work were full of phone calls...my Dr, the clinic, and two different hospitals.  I just wanted to press the pause button in life and just take a breather.  But when you're dealing with cancer...there is no pause button. The test was scheduled so last minute, that I didn't think I could find someone to go with me.  But then Htown volunteered to leave work early and take me.  I met Htown four months ago and she may think she moved to Oklahoma to marry her husband.  But, I think God sent her to the 2nd best city in the world to be my little angel during this time of need.  She's gone above and beyond the call of duty in our newly found friendship and has been such a blessing!!  I know she's blushing right now!!  So I'll stop so not to embarrass her in front of the blogosphere.  

Now, I've had scans and X-rays before...and I've never thought the techs were blogworthy individuals. But my CT tech and PET scan tech made scanning for both a really great experience.  They were so compassionate and caring, talked to me as if I was a human being that they wanted to get to know, and made me feel like they cared about my ultimate well-being.  Both of them told me they would pray for me, and I honestly believe that they will. I left both scans with the same feeling...that those were techs sent by God...little angel techs to specifically deal with me....because I need a little extra TLC these days!

After all my testing today, I made a mad dash back Dr. H's office to drop off the CD to him.  His nurse tried to send me away and tell me that I should bring it back with me on my next visit...but as she was shooing me, he walked down the hall, saw me, and held up his finger to tell me to wait.  He then told me he had 2 more patients, and if I could wait, he'd look at the CD with me!!  Needless to say I waited and......drumroll..............there is NO spreading in my lymph nodes!!!  I can't express how grateful I am to have an amazing Dr. who bends over backwards for me, calls me and responds to my messages immediately, and legitimately cares about getting me the best care quickly.  Dr. H is definitely my little indian oncology angel!  (I  hope he never finds this blog...because I'm sure he'd blush too!)

So, although today was so crazy and overwhelming and exhausting, I felt really thankful to God that the cancer has not spread and that I have all these little angels surrounding me everywhere I go!  I went home and spent the rest of the evening on my favorite couch with my favorite girl!  Prayer request...please pray that tomorrow's ultrasound will have good results! 


1 comment:

Scorps1027 said...

Woo hooooo! No growth:) so happy to read this news!