Thursday, December 10, 2015

Round 1...Day 1

So, today was my first day of chemo.  My mom called me this morning to pray with me, and afterwards I got ready.  I decided that I was not going to wear sweats and go for a comfy, casual look.  Instead, I decided to do my hair, put on some pink lipstick, and pick out my favorite polkadot shirt (cuz there's power in polkadots, ya'll)....and show chemo who's boss.  Now, not only was I the  youngest one in there for a while, but I was the only person stupid enough to not dress comfortably.  It was very obvious that I was the newbie.  But, I think that I'm going to try to look as put together as possible every time I go for as long as I possibly can...because for some reason it makes me feel better and stronger!

A special thank you to my sweet, talented, niece Lauren for making me this beautiful blanket!  It was so soft and perfect...and my nurse told me I should keep an eye on it because she wanted to steal it!

So, they pumped me full of nausea meds, and a chemo cocktail plus tuns of saline.  So after it was all said and done...it took 7 hours!  I listened to my music watched half of the movie "the Best Man" (hoping it would inspire me to write my 2nd book like it inspired me to write my 1st book), answered texts and talked a lot to Htown, who was kind enough to waste her day sitting with me on my first day of chemo.  Have I mentioned she's my angel?  I did really well through the whole thing, ate my entire lunch although it was painful, and even felt pretty good when I left...just super tired!  They sent me home with a chemo pouch to last the entire week until next Thursday.  At which time, I will only have to check my counts and refill the pouch!  I only have to do 7 hours again when I start round 2...which ironically is on New Years Eve!!...Just how I dreamed of spending the last day of the year!!  So, This lovely black and gray contraption is the pouch, which I've named Charlotte!  (Don't ask...I have no idea why) There is a tube coming out of charlotte and attaching to my port, so we are going to be besties for the next 63 days!!  We never separate...not even to shower!  My biggest fear is that I'll wake up and forget I'm attached and walk off with out her...which won't be a good thing!  I'm pretty sure side effects will commence tomorrow...nausea, lack of appetite, other joyous stomach issues, and fatigue...lots of it!!

For those of you in the OKC area who are wanting to visit....Please bear with me.  I'm accepting visitors very slowly but surely.  And please, remember I can't be near anyone who is sick..and that means even just a cough at this time.  I just can't afford for my counts to go down or end up in the hospital.  I know all of you are only wanting the best for me...so none of this is a huge concern...just a disclaimer!  I love you guys!!

Praise report:  I contacted my cancer buddy's wife...and she told me they were closing him up after surgery around noon today and that he did great!!  I told her that my entire support system was praying for him and asked her to let him know!  I was elated...best news I had all day!

Prayer request:  I need to eat and keep my strength up and eat well!...which is a bit hard to do these days with the swallowing issues...and now, that combined with chemo side effects!  So please pray that I'll be able to find food that is easy on my gullet and my gut! ;) ...so I can keep my strength up!!






2 comments:

Unknown said...

FEAR knocked
FAITH answered
NO ONE was there

avasa05 said...

I love polka dots too!! So glad you and your buddy did great today!