Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas Eve...

It's been a full day...I got the worst part out of the day over first....chemo refill.  Refill days aren't nearly as bad as filtration days, but I do have to get my port re-accessed for refills...without any numbing cream.  Last time I refilled, the nurse promised that next time I'd be able to use the cream if I brought it.  So, I let her re-access with the hope that next time would be less painful.  This time I came fully prepared with the cream in hand, but this nurse told me there's no way the cream would have enough time to work so it'd be pointless.  She then proceeded to re-stick me.  It hurt, not horribly...I think my feelings were hurt worse.  I was trying to choke down the lump of disappointment that had formed in my throat.  I didn't even know why I was getting so upset over it.  I think I just felt like my previous nurse had lied before to appease me...and I felt a little tricked.  But then, it was like God knew my feelings were hurt, and he sent his little angel nurse, Melinda (my favorite chemo nurse at Dr H's office).  She was just passing by and saw me, came over to ask me if I was doing okay, wish me a Merry Christmas, and then she gave me a big, heart-warming hug.  I wish every nurse in the chemo room had the same compassion as she does...but I am so grateful for her because she is definitely a ray of sunshine on very gray days!

Afterwards, I felt pretty wiped out...I spent the rest of the afternoon watching the Kardashians marathon on TV with my cousin, "Iguess"...which eventually made me fall into a deep, much needed slumber.  I woke up just in time for Missa & Andrew and our traditional viewing of the Elf.  Afterwards, Andrew insisted on playing a friendly game of Scrabble.  I tried to warn him that I don't play "friendly" games.  I'm competitive...yes, even when playing against a 12 year old.  I did, however, suggest that he ask his big sister to be his partner to help him.  He thought that I was giving him a helpful suggestion...but actually, I was just trying to annihilate both of them so I could gloat more.  Yes, I'm a very bad sport.

After my victory...Mousse and I spent the rest of the evening waiting for Ansleykins and Wes to  arrive from Texas.  And just when I thought the night was over,  and we could all just go to bed...Santa arrived!  He walked in singing a Justin Bieber song and ate the kale chips I left out for him...He came bearing gifts...a lifetime supply of popcorn!  I thought Santa would leave considering he had been spotted.  But no, he decided to sit and chat a while...told a lot of dramatic stories replete with flailing hands and reenactments and played that Justin Bieber song on repeat on his Bose speaker.  Finally Santa realized there were more gifts to deliver, crunched a few more kale chips, hopped on his sleigh singing the SAME Justin Bieber song and rode into the night!  Good riddance, Santa!

And that, my friends...was Christmas Eve!  Let's see what adventures can be had on Christmas!


No comments: