Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Tom Yum Soup...it's what's for lunch..and possibly breakfast and dinner!

When I first started having swallowing problems, I googled my symptoms and the first thing I came across was "esophageal cancer."  Everything I read seemed to fit what I was experiencing.  It said that people automatically change what they eat and try to eat softer foods or they take smaller bites and chew more...but that inevitably people would drop weight and the problem wouldn't subside.  This is exactly what was happening to me...And although everyone else I was complaining to assured me that it was acid reflux, the seed was planted in my brain that this could possibly be something worse.  I've noticed that the pain I had swallowing that began 3 months ago is getting increasingly worse. Before it used to be bread or meats that I  had a hard time getting down.  But now, even a banana and water is hard to swallow.  I would work through the pain, but I also feel pretty full after just a few bites for some weird reason.  So, I'll start off famished, take a few bites and then I'm stuffed, but then in ten minutes...I'm starving again.  It's a conundrum....My weight has dropped a bit, which I'd typically be over the moon about...but it's a little concerning.

Today I was able to find something to eat that doesn't hurt going down at all!  Thai Seafood Tom Yum soup!  It may look gross but it's delicious to me...chalked full of seafood like scallops, shrimp, squid, fish and mussels.  I was elated to find something fairly easy to eat!  Looks like I might be living off of it for a while so I sure hope one of my kind friends will master the art of making tom yum soup so I don't have to trek out to Panang on the daily to buy it.

In other news, Sueberry is totaled!!!!!  When the tree collapsed on Saturday, I tried to be calm and not freak out...I tried to see how God might be using the situation for good.  When I thought about it that way, I thought that perhaps God was opening up a door for me to get rid of Sueberry.  I needed to sell her and clearly I don't have time to deal with that right now.  So, now she's totaled and I don't have to worry about trying to get rid of her, and hopefully my insurance company will hand me over a much needed check to put towards cancer care....like the pet scan I'll be having Tuesday.

I was trying to get it done at MDA, but that's not happening as quickly as I'd like it to.  So, my pre-planned trip is now cancelled.  I will be having my Pet Scan Tuesday here in OKC...I think it's best to get it done and know whether or not there's spreading so I can be staged properly.  And then if MDA needs to scan me again...well, so be it....

Prayer request for today....In the week that I've been diagnosed with esophageal cancer, I've already made a cancer buddy.  "Peppermint Pattie" is  someone from my world that I didn't know was suffering with the same illness.  But he heard through the grapevine and contacted me and has been an amazing sense of support since.  He's at MDA now for treatment and will be having surgery next week.  So please keep my cancer buddy in your prayers as well...that in the days leading up to surgery, God will give him strength and peace of mind....and be with his doctors as they perform this intense procedure on him.  And please pray that by the time he's in the hospital recovering, I will be able to have my first appointment...so I can go visit him and offer him a tenth of the support he's offered me through this process.

No comments: