Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The hairstyle dilemma continues. I appreciate your feedback, however, I'm still confused. I started off liking look #2, but then overnight, I started swaying towards look #1. #2 is pretty much what I normally do for my spring look, and I really want to be different. And #1 is quite different...however, i wonder if it's appropriate for my round face. eeeeeeeek...decisions, decisions.

Last night I was forced to think about some ugly things. Mainly, the inability that people have to keep it real. My friend Sybil moved to OKC from New York, and she said people there are more upfront about their feelings. She found that hard to deal with here in Oklahoma because we play nice all the time. There's nothing wrong with that if you genuinely mean it, but if you don't, you're not doing anyone any favors by "acting" nice.

I once told her that there's a fine line between being honest and being brash. I don't think you should always be up in someone's face and tell them what you think of them. But, honest correction (if you feel they're doing wrong) and honest about your feelings towards them makes you a respectable person. Talking trash behind someone's back and then approaching that very same person with smiles, flowery words, and ingenuine loves is just plain shady.

I think it's a really difficult thing to do because then you are putting yourself "out there" to be the one who's unliked. And no one wants to be unliked. But, as my friend Sybil said to me once...what kind of friend would I be if I wasn't honest with my friend? The answer is...not a very good one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm, i know a few people that talk trash behind one's back and then completely change that in a heartbeat. people like that ARE shady - yet i wonder how they can put on this front that they're all about Jesus, but do this?

Honestly, what would Jesus think?

Anonymous said...

ps....i like those hairstyles that u picked :) ironically, i was going to flog one of the styles that i found for myself....

kovoor36 said...

its very true, you should be able to be honest with everyone, but do it with class, to not offend anyone. there are nice ways to say even the meanest things:)

Anonymous said...

I think being honest in the context of any relationship is very important. There are ways to say things without being hurtful or condescending.
What kind of friend would you be if you weren't honest? Not a good one. However, when you are a jerk about your honesty your friends wont respond to that.